Why Carbon Monoxide Detectors are Important

Carbon monoxide detectors are an extremely important device to have in any home or living space. This is because carbon monoxide is undetectable to humans – it is tasteless, odorless, and invisible – and is highly toxic. 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced as a by-product of combustion, and there are various systems in a home that can lead to this happening. CO detectors were made to alert homeowners of a leak & dangerous levels of CO in a home. 

Why are CO Detectors Important? 

Much like smoke detectors for fire safety – CO detectors are important to have in a home for the safety of the people who live there. 

Since CO gas is undetectable, it can be infiltrating a home at dangerous levels & only be detected when the people inside fall ill. 

There are a few household systems that produce carbon monoxide – and are the reason that your home should home detectors. 

These Include: 

  • Cars & any other type of automobile 
  • Gas laundry dryers 
  • Fireplaces 
  • Wood stoves
  • Gas water heaters
  • Charcoal grills
  • Gas stoves 
  • Fuel fired furnaces (ones that are not electric)

Even if your home doesn’t have any of these systems, nearby homes might have them, and the gas can be dangerous if it is too concentrated. 

Having Detectors in Your Home

Every home should have a CO detector on each floor at the least, depending on the size of the home, this should be more. There should be a detector by each sleeping area/bedroom so that the detector can alert you in your sleep if need be. 

CO detectors should be placed higher up the wall for them to work the best, such as smoke alarms are, since gas rises. 

In addition, carbon monoxide detectors should not be placed closer than 5 feet from gas appliances, as well as by the kitchen or bathrooms.